The Joslyns purchased the Sutphen farm in 1893 and began landscaping the five-acre site. Omaha architect John McDonald designed the mansion to resemble a Scottish manor. Named Lynhurst and known locally as "Joslyn Castle," the thirty-four-room house was completed in 1903. It includes an interior conservatory designed by landscape architect Jens Jensen in 1913. The Joslyns made their fortune in the ready-print news business and owned the Western Newspaper Union. They gave generously to many Omaha organizations.
Joslyn Castle Neighborhood
Nebraska State Historical Society
Northeast side of 40th and Davenport intersection, Omaha