Official Nebraska Government Website Nebraska State Historical Society

LEWIS AND CLARK CAMPSITE: JULY 27, 1804

At the camp established very near here Captain Clark wrote about the "butifull Breeze from the N W. this evening which would have been verry agreeable, had the Misquiters been tolerably Pacifick, but thy were rageing all night." Clark may have exaggerated when he noted that the mosquitoes were as big as house flies. They would continue to plague the explorers until winter. That evening Clark and Ruben Fields "walked on Shore with a View of examoning Som mounds." Although the mounds were probably natural features, Clark noted that the Oto Indians formerly lived there.

Lewis and Clark had been trying to contact Indians who lived in the area. On July 28 one of the hunters "brought in a Missouri Indian who resides with the Otteauz, this Indian & 2 others were Hunting in the Prarie their Camp is about 4 miles off." On August 3 the explorers met with the leaders of the Oto and Missouria tribes at a site they named "Council Bluff," near present Fort Calhoun, Nebraska.

Nebraska State Historical Society
National Park Service
Central Park Mall
Douglas County
Marker 340

 


NSHS Home  |  Search  |  Index  |  Markers

http://www.nebraskahistory.org/publish/markers/texts/lewis_and_clark_j27.htm
Last updated 4 June 2004

For questions or comments on the website itself, email nshs.web@nebraska.gov
Nebraska State Historical Society - P.O. Box 82554, 1500 R Street, Lincoln, NE 68501
Nebraska State Government Homepage
 |  Website Policies  |  © 2009 All Rights Reserved