This monument, dedicated to the early pioneers, marks the location of Sacramento, one of the first towns in Phelps County.
Sacramento was established between 1876 and 1878 with an estimated area population of two hundred. Numerous businesses were erected of sod and lumber. There was a sod school house, also used for religious services, a post office, grocery store, dry goods and general store, a hotel, butcher shop, drug store, a printing shop, hardware and implement business, livery stable, blacksmith shop, lumber yard and a two-story flour mill. A physician and an attorney established offices here. The town pump was located in the center of the road intersection. The Phelps County Pioneer newspaper was first published here in 1879.
In late 1883 most of the businesses moved to the new settlement of Holdrege where the Burlington Railroad had just been completed; several moved two miles north to a new Sacramento. School District No. 8, which was organized in 1876, continued here until 1952 when it was consolidated with the Wilcox School.
Phelps County Historical Society
Nebraska State Historical Society
2 miles south of Sacramento (about 1/2 way between Holdrege and Wilcox)