This camp, constructed to house three thousand men, received the first German prisoners of war in June, 1943. Most of the soldiers were members of the Afrika Korps. The prisoners were allowed to work on farms and ranches in the area and received a wage guaranteed by the Geneva Convention. Their labor was boon to Nebraska's war-depleted agricultural work force. This camp closed in September 1945, but some former prisoners found sponsors among their captors and returned to become U.S. citizens.
Nebraska State Historical Society
Ft. Robinson State Park,
3 miles west of Crawford
More about Fort Robinson Museum