Omaha became a wholesale center in the late nineteenth century, as jobbers (middlemen or resellers) used the city's railroad network to sell locally- and nationally-produced products throughout the western United States.
Benjamin Gallagher went into partnership with his
friend, Omaha capitalist William A. Paxton in 1879. By the turn
of the century, wholesaler Paxton and Gallagher was renowned
throughout the West for its line of staple and fancy groceries.
In its four-story building in Omaha, Paxton and Gallagher manufactured
baking powder and extracts, ground spices, packaged teas from
their own Japanese warehouses, and blended and roasted coffees
from around the world.
NSHS Home | Search | Index | Top | Back | Next