John G. Neihardt called Bancroft home from 1900 to 1920. In this study the famous poet wrote many of his works.
The building was erected on this site in the 1890s for August Hartman and used as a residence by various owners until 1964. Poet John G. Neihardt rented the building from 1911 through 1920 for a study. Here he wrote his lyrics, prose, and part of the epic A Cycle of the West. The Neihardt Study was restored in 1967 and entered in the National Register of Historic Places in 1970.
The Study is the only structure remaining from the original property on which John Neihardt lived and worked. It consists of only one room, which is furnished today much as it might have been when Neihardt used it. Although it is not open for entry, during times when the museum is open, the door is open allowing a wide view. In addition, the ample windows allow clear views of every part of the room.