Meridian Bridge, pdf [CD00-256] Listed 1993/06/17
Carrying U.S. Highway 81 over the Missouri River, the Meridian Highway Bridge connects downtown Yankton, South Dakota, on the north with rural Cedar County on the south. The bridge got its name since it is part of the Meridian Highway route. In January 1920 the Meridian Highway Bridge Company retained Harrington, Howard and Ash of Kansas City, Missouri, to design a combined railroad and highway bridge, with a movable span to allow unobstructed navigation. Established in 1914 with John Harrington as senior partner, the engineering firm was especially well respected for its movable bridges. While in a previous partnership with bridge engineer John Waddell, Harrington had helped develop a major movable type, which is still known as the Waddell and Harrington Vertical Lift. The design employed a simple span equipped with machinery for operation, suspended at each end by wire ropes which pass over sheaves on towers and connect to counterweights about equal to the span weight. In their plans for the Yankton bridge, the Kansas City firm incorporated a standard Waddell and Harrington vertical-lift span. The trusses were equipped with two concrete decks: an upper level for highway traffic, and a lower level for railroad traffic. The bridge officially opened to traffic in 1924. Although the lower deck was equipped with trackage, the anticipated rail route never materialized. In 1953 the bridge's previously idle lower deck was converted into a highway lane, allowing one-way traffic on both levels.
Schulte Archeological Site [25-CD-01] Listed 1974/07/30
At least eighteen earthlodge locations have been identified at this prehistoric village above the Missouri River flood plain near the town of St. Helena. The village has been assigned to the prehistoric St. Helena Phase, which developed in extreme northeast Nebraska about A.D. 1100 and declined prior to A.D. 1500. The Schulte Site is one of the finest examples of a St. Helena village complex and has provided data with which to assist in understanding late prehistoric cultural adaptation in northeast Nebraska.
Wiseman Archeological Site [25-CD-03] Listed 1974/12/02
The Wiseman Site, located in Cedar County, is the largest prehistoric earthlodge community yet recorded in Nebraska. Over thirty lodges constituted the village, which is attributed to a sedentary hunting-farming culture known as the St. Helena phase (A.D. 1100-1450).
Bow Valley Mills, pdf [CD00-003] Listed 1978/11/17
Lewis E. Jones was born in 1825 in Carnarvon, Wales, and settled in Cedar County, Nebraska, in 1858. In 1867 Jones bought land along Bow Creek several miles southeast of St. Helena and began construction of the Bow Valley flour mill, which was completed in 1868. The mill played a vital role in the commerce of northeastern Nebraska, providing flour to settlers in the region. Large quantities of flour also were shipped by steamboat as far west as Montana. The building is an important example of early industrial architecture in the state.
Saints Philip and James Parochial School, pdf [CD00-006] Listed 2003/11/26
Constructed in 1919 this one-story stuccoed building is located in Cedar County. The Mission style school building is significant for the role it played in the educational life of parish children for nearly forty-five years.
Franz Zavadil Farmstead, pdf [CD00-009] Listed 1985/01/31
The Franz Zavadil farmstead, located near Menominee, is an outstanding example of an early Nebraska farmstead. It still retains the majority of structures used in the farming and stock raising operations of the Zavadil families from the 1870s to the present. The most notable building is the one-and-one-half-story, chalk rock and glacial rock dwelling, which is an important product of folk architecture. A native Bohemian, Franz Zavadil, erected the dwelling, utilizing his own masonry skills and readily available materials (see St. Boniface Catholic Church Complex).
Couser Barn, pdf [CD00-012] Listed 1986/07/17
Located near the town of Laurel, the Couser Barn is a twelve-sided frame barn built about 1912-13 for William Couser. Couser came to Cedar County from Shelby County, Iowa, in 1899 and engaged in farming and cattle raising until 1917, when the family moved to South Dakota. The barn is the only "round" barn recorded in Cedar County.
Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church Complex, pdf [CD03-004] Listed 2000/07/05
Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church Complex (including church-1903, school-1910, and rectory-1926) is located in Bow Valley. The church is the only example of a Romanesque Revival church in Cedar County. It has massive articulated wall structures, round arches, and vaulted ceilings. The rectory is a fine example of a Four Square; the simple design is devoid of ornamentation. The school is a Colonial Revival structure. These buildings, combined with the cemetery and grotto, create an astonishingly intact Catholic complex.
Cedar County Courthouse, pdf [CD07-002] Listed 1990/01/10
Cedar County, organized in 1857, was one of the earliest counties in the Nebraska Territory. That same year St. James was named county seat. As the population increased, residents voted to move the count seat to St. Helena. The town of Hartington was established in 1883 as a stop on the railroad. With its central location and rail connections (beginning in 1884), Hartington soon gained the county seat designation in 1885. In 1891 voters passed a bond issue to underwrite the construction of a new courthouse. Construction began that same year and the building was completed in 1892. Built in the Romanesque Revival style the courthouse retains a fair degree of integrity with evolutionary changes evident on the interior and exterior.
City Hall and Auditorium, pdf (Hartington Municipal Building) [CD07-001] Listed 1983/07/21
Construction of the Hartington City Auditorium began in the spring of 1922 and was completed in 1923. The building was designed by Sioux City architect William Steele, who formerly worked for Louis H. Sullivan, a prominent member of the Chicago School of Architecture. It is an outstanding example of the Prairie style.
Hartington Hotel, pdf [CD07-006] Listed 2003/11/26
Constructed in 1917 the Hartington Hotel is located in Hartington. It is significant for its association with the commercial development of the town and with the building boom of second-generation hotels that was occurring statewide during the first quarter of the twentieth century. The hotels built during this period, as exemplified by the Hartington, were multi-floor brick buildings that offered the most modern conveniences and catered especially to the businessmen who traveled on the railroad. Aside from providing pleasant quarters for travelers, the new hotels became the symbol of a prospering community with a bright future. It is within this context that the importance of the Hartington Hotel is realized.
St. Boniface Catholic Church Complex, pdf [CD10-001] Listed 1983/07/21
The St. Boniface Catholic Church, located in the town of Menominee, was established for the German-Catholic families who settled in the Antelope Creek valley in the late nineteenth century. The key buildings include the 1886 church and the 1923 school, both utilizing native chalk rock in their construction. Partially destroyed by fire in 1900, the church was rebuilt and dedicated in June 1902. Franz Zavadil, a native of Bohemia, was primarily responsible for the construction of the present building (see Franz Zavadil Farmstead). The church's highly decorative combination of chalk rock and brickwork demonstrates a medieval approach to church design. Zavadil incorporated design elements found in native Czech churches into St. Boniface Church. The property also includes a brick rectory, built in 1911, and the church cemetery.
Immaculate Conception Catholic Church and Rectory, pdf [CD13-001] Listed 2001/07/05
The Immaculate Conception Catholic Church and Rectory are located in St. Helena. The church (1897) is constructed in the Gothic Revival style with massive articulated wall structures and vaulted ceilings. The rectory (1919) is a two-and-one-half story Four Square with elaborate decorative brickwork to mimic the Gothic nature of the neighboring church.
How to list a property on the National Register
Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page
Return to National Register information