Austin was named in honor of Simeon Austin, a circuit rider. In 1877 Austin post office was
established on the farm of Oliver S. Brown and continued until 1919. The Union Pacific Railroad
arrived in 1886; the Austin siding was built halfway between Loup City and Rockville in 1902
and removed in 1985. Although it was never incorporated, Austin had a store, 1906-31; church,
1907-46; blacksmith shop, 1916-19; stockyards and office; grain elevator; corn crib; coal bin;
and several homes. Austin Irrigation functioned from 1913 to 1926. Picnics and ball games were
held in a nearby grove.
District No. 2, the first rural school in Sherman County, was established on November 15, 1873.
After 125 years of serving the Austin community it closed in June 1998 after educating the last
eligible student in the district. Austin was the last rural school to close in Sherman County and
had been located on three different sites in three different buildings.
All that remains of Austin today is the cemetery established in 1886, and located one mile
southeast of here.
Sherman County Historical Society
Nebraska State Historical Society
Nebr. 58, mile 38.4, between Loup City and Rockville