This hospital was built in 1912 under the guidance of Dr. Susan La Flesche Picotte, the first
Native American woman physician, with the financial support of the Presbyterian Board of
Home Missions and other donors. It served both Native American and white people. In 1988 the
Susan La Flesche Picotte Center was established here to commemorate Dr. Picotte as a model
student, servant, healer, and leader. The hospital was named a National Historic Landmark in
Susan La Flesche Picotte Center, Inc.
Nebraska State Historical Society
Nebraska 94, Walthill, at the hospital