In 1872 Dodge County purchased 160 acres at this site to provide relief for the needy. In 1884 a residence was added for those receiving aid; by 1888 the farm comprised 245 acres. Paid stewards oversaw its operation. After 1935, federal and state old-age insurance (Social Security) reduced the need for county assistance to the indigent. The last of the more than 400 residents the poor farm served died in 1944. The farm was rented out in 1945 and sold in 1955.
The Grateful Residents
Nebraska State Historical Society, 2014
1777 County Road 23, Nickerson